Monday, September 24, 2012

2 Girls


I want to say that God works in mysterious ways. It sounds really cliche but it's the truth. He always finds a way to bring you back to him. God knew that deep down at my core I've always wanted to find the right girl to settle down with. I wanted someone to fill that void that I used clubbing/alcohol/flings for the patch up job.

So I was on my way to a club with my friend (who is a girl) and while we were walking I see this girl walking a dog, I think it was a Chow Chow and just like any curious guy I thought to myself "is she cute?" My friend recognizes her and they start talking. Long story short my friend hooks us up and we started seeing each other. As I'm getting to know her I find out that she's a Christian (Not Catholic), goes to bible study, is involved in her church and helps out kids with disabilities. To me this girl was unreal. Since I was Catholic and she was Christian, a lot of our conversation were about our faith's differences and similarities etc. And since she went to bible study I thought I'd impress her by talking about the bible and the verses I knew. At that time I only read inspirational bible quotes that I got off google when times got hard. And the stories I knew were either from mass or from my children's bible I read when I was younger. I actually had a few "problems" with the bible which I will touch on a later post. I didn't even know that we used different versions of the bible. I've always believed in God, but I didn't take that relationship very seriously at the time. How could I? I was acting like I didn't really know him. I was still clubbing/drinking/being immoral but not as much as before because I was with her. But because of this girl, I wanted to get to know God more. For example let's say the girl you like, likes this one show, so you start watching it because she likes it and eventually you end up liking it and watching it on your own time regardless of her. That's the first analogy that popped into mind lol.  It was sort of superficial in the beginning, but then something came over me and I started to want to know more about my faith to better answer her questions as well my personal questions. Long story short we stopped seeing each other.

I then went back to my old ways but increasingly felt guilty every time. 

Then I went to Vegas last summer during EDC weekend. I didn't go to the event but the clubs were already pretty crazy. I was acting a fool that whole weekend. I was just so angry from that failed relationship (it wasn't a recent break, it just lingered for a few months) that I blocked God from my head to a certain extent. I knew going all out like that was immoral but I didn't care. I wanted to have fun and just forget about my past and stress in general (school etc.). Like I said God works in mysterious ways. If you don't get it the first time he sends to the message again and hopefully you get it. So the day before we were about to leave I see this girl working at the front desk at the hotel I was staying at. She completely caught my attention. Long story short we ended up grabbing some Starbucks in the morning before I left. While we sat down and talked I found out that she was Christian and was really into her faith. She read her bible and was pretty diligent in wanting a guy that had a deep relationship with God. I've always wanted to be that guy but I assumed that it would happen but later on in life. I still felt like life was about having fun and making and learning from your mistakes. I had it completely wrong in retrospect.

I then started reading the bible more, it technically wasn't the Bible Catholics should be using but I made an attempt to understand it. There's a video below that explains the differences between the bible Roman Catholics use and the bible that some Protestants use FYI. Did you guys know there was a difference?







We talked on and off for about a year and then we just lost communication. But unlike last time, I kept trying to understand God and what he wants from me. The whole clubbing/drunk scene was getting old to me. I realized there was no real happiness from doing all that. Deep down it wasn't me. The joy that it brought was always temporary. Superficial you could say.The guilt was unbearable some nights.

I really believe that God used these girls to bring me closer to him. They both were really good influences on me. Although we stopped talking, they gave me something that will stay with me throughout my life. The need to know what God wants from me and who he wants me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment